Thursday, September 3, 2009

Some Assembly Required

Putting it all together:



I had an old cabinet (scavenged of course from an office renovation), that makes the perfect home for my new printer. I screwed the MDF board, with the rails and inkjet, to the top of the cabinet and attached all the electrical bits to the side (I'll move them inside once I'm satisfied it all works). I carefully cut a hole in the MDF under the printer and lowered the bins into place. I used shims to level it at the right height before I screwed it to the inside of the cabinet. I also used some angle braces to support the bottom edge of the bins. I next installed the steppers and lead screws. Luckily there was just enough room between the screws for the PC. I also rigged up a plastic storage container to catch the powder overflow. I mounted the keyboard in the space where a drawer once was. Lastly, I put a shelf above the printer so I would have someplace to put the monitor, my laptop and the mouse. If I were to put the plastic covers back on the inkjet it might even look semi-professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment